Accomplished Law Firm In Clinton, Sedalia, Windsor And Warsaw, Missouri

  1. Home
  2.  ► 
  3. Social Security Disability
  4.  ► How likely is approval when you apply for SSDI benefits?

How likely is approval when you apply for SSDI benefits?

On Behalf of | Apr 22, 2022 | Social Security Disability |

Workers who apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits often have no other options available. They likely have a medical condition that prevents them from working, and they also don’t have enough resources to live independently without income. SSDI benefits can help those who aren’t old enough to retire but have no income from work because of a medical condition by providing funds to cover their cost-of-living expenses.

By the time someone is in dire enough straits to apply for SSDI, they may already have fallen behind on their bills or had to leave their job. Unfortunately, applicants often face an uphill battle when they need SSDI benefits.

Many people are rejected at first

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has a reputation for declining even those with severe medical issues on the smallest of technicalities. Inadequate evidence or errors in the paperwork can lead to someone not getting benefits.

More people get rejected when they apply than approved. According to data provided by the SSA that reviews benefits claims from 2006 and 2015, you are more likely to receive a rejection notice than an approval when you apply. Overall, an average of 23% of applicants receive approval when they initially apply. Another 11% may have success in the appeals process, for an overall final approval rate of 34%, or just over one-third. 

Appealing instead of reapplying later could mean that you receive backdated benefits if your appeal is successful. The chance of securing approval upon appeal makes pursuing reconsideration, hearings and even more advanced appeals worthwhile for those who cannot work anymore. Learning more about SSDI benefits approval rates could help motivate you to keep pushing after a rejection notice.